Re: udev doesn't creat /dev/audio

John L Fjellstad wrote:
Florian Kulzer <florian@molphys.leidenuniv.nl> writes:

I think the easiest solution is to upgrade to a newer kernel which
includes snd-hda-intel. For Sarge you will need a special "backported"
version. These are available at
http://www.backports.org/package.php?search=linux-image-2.6

to install a 2.6.15 kernel on your system. After you boot into that
kernel you should be able to load the snd-hda-intel module and udev
should create /dev/audio; maybe this will even happen automatically.
Then "alsaconf" should do be able to do the rest.

My understanding is that later kernels (2.6.12 or later, I think) needs
a newer udev.

Good point, but I had hoped that that would have been taken care of by
the backport. I gave this advice to the OP because he had been trying
for a while to insert 2.4 alsa-modules in a 2.6 kernel, or 2.6.15
modules in his standard Sarge kernel. Following Sid myself, I could not
check if this approach actually works. I would appreciate it if anyone
has more info; I unfortunately never got any feedback from the OP.

Regards,
          Florian