Re: udev doesn't creat /dev/audio

belahcene abdelkader wrote:
thanks,
right but in my case 2.6.8 there is no snd-hda-intel.ko

dpkg -S snd-hda-intel.ko
dpkg : *snd-hda-intel.ko* not found
user@debian21:~$ uname -a
Linux debian21 2.6.8-2-386 #1 Thu May 19 17:40:50 JST
2005 i686 GNU/Linux
best regards

Support for the Intel HDA was added to the 2.6 kernel after version
2.6.8, therefore you cannot find it in a standard Sarge installation.

I have suggested this already in the previous thread which you started
about your problems with sound, but maybe I did not make myself clear
enough, so I'll try again:

I think the easiest solution is to upgrade to a newer kernel which
includes snd-hda-intel. For Sarge you will need a special "backported"
version. These are available at
http://www.backports.org/package.php?search=linux-image-2.6

To install a backported kernel, you have to add the following line to
your /etc/apt/sources.list:

deb http://www.backports.org/debian/ sarge-backports main

and the following three lines to your /etc/apt/preferences (create this
file if it does not exist):

Package: *
Pin: release a=sarge-backports
Pin-Priority: 200

After that you can use

apt-get update
apt-get -t sarge-backports install linux-image-2.6.15-1-686

to install a 2.6.15 kernel on your system. After you boot into that
kernel you should be able to load the snd-hda-intel module and udev
should create /dev/audio; maybe this will even happen automatically.
Then "alsaconf" should do be able to do the rest.

Regards,
           Florian