Re: switching between xorg.conf files

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 17:01:08 -0500
kamaraju kusumanchi <raju.mailinglists@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>     I have two xorg.conf files. The first one is for laptop alone ( say
> xorg1.conf) . The second is used when laptop is connected to a projector
> (say xorg2.conf).
>
> I usually use xorg1.conf . But when I have to connect to a projector, I do
>
> sudo cp xorg2.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf
>
> and then reboot the computer. Is there any way to change xorg.conf files
> without requiring a reboot?
>
> I have tried logging out of X and doing startx. But then it did not work
> (in the sense that the display was still on the laptop, instead of the
> projector's screen). I have to reboot the machine for the new xorg.conf
> to take effect and show the display on the projector's screen.

Just a wild guess, but it might be that the video adapter is not aware of the projector until you reboot. Maybe you need a way to reset the video adapter (or switch output). Is the projector connected to the TV-out? I've seen similar behavior with the TV-out on some cards, were I couldn't get it to display on the TV without a reset.

Andrei
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. (Albert Einstein)