Re: distribution upgrade question

On Tue, Mar 14, 2006 at 10:42:47AM -0800, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 16:45:31 +0100
> Thomas Jollans <tjollans@jollybox.de> wrote:
>

> > because SID breakes. period. you must know what yu are doing, how to fix
> > problems and avoid doing unattended updates or something like that ;)

sid does *not* break, period. it depends on what you are doing. if you
have thousands of packages installed instead of hundreds, you are more
likely to see conflicts and broken packages, however, if you have a
relatively constant setup sid works well.

ive been running sid for 4 to 5 years and there have been glitches
(maybe severe ones once a year), but by-in-large if i want to try new
software, i run aptitude and install it. it works and doesnt break.

let me finish with this thought: all computer software breaks. its true,
if you use it long enough, or install enough of it, you will experience
breakage. then you have to fix it. sid is no different.

-matt zagrabelny