Re: distribution upgrade question

On Tuesday 14 March 2006 11:39, Magnus Therning wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 14, 2006 at 05:16:02AM -0500, Jude DaShiell wrote:
> >For now I'm restricted to console mode until or unless I
restricted ? I see no restrictions here. Just a little less eye candy *lol*

> First off, Sarge is the stable release, Sid is the (permanent) name of
> unstable. :-)
>
> Step one is to think once again of why you are doing this!
because SID breakes. period. you must know what yu are doing, how to fix
problems and avoid doing unattended updates or something like that ;)

> Step two is to edit /etc/apt/sources.list. This is the relevant part of
> mine:
>
>  deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ testing main contrib non-free
>  deb http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main contrib non-free
>  deb http://ftp.se.debian.org/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free
>
> Yes, you should include 'testing' as well as 'unstable'.
rubbish. if not, why ? unstable includes everything.

> Step three is to run `apt-get update`, then `apt-get dist-upgrade`. If
> you're religious this is a good time to pray...
If not, this is a good time to make coffee unless your internet connection is
based on *insert super fast technology that is used by no debian mirror here*

Thomas