Re: Unreadable DVDs

[KS] wrote:
Damien Solley wrote:
On Sat, 2006-02-25 at 07:13 -0600, Paul Stolp wrote:

* Damien Solley <dsolley.listmail@gmail.com> [2006-02-23 21:15]:

Greetings,
I am trying to write single session DVD+R discs under Debian Etch (and
previously also in Sarge). I have tried Nautilus CD/DVD burner and K3b.
Both programs apparently write the disks and report a successful burn.
However, the disks cannot be mounted or read on this or any other
machine. When I check "disk info" under K3b it reports the disks as
written, but without a detected UDF or ISO filesystem. CDBurnerXPpro on
Win32 also shows the disks as written, but unreadable on windows. I have
used the default settings in all programs, no changing Joliet/RR
settings, etc.
Try command line, I have had no problems since using
that over K3b, et al.

growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd -R -J /some/files

Very simple. Check the growisofs man page for more
details.

Paul,
Thanks for your reply, that sorted it out! Using growisofs has created
DVDs that are readable on any of my machines.
Interestingly, using nautilus or k3b the disks seem to have two
filesystems. Nero 6 on Win32 seems to think that both UDF and ISO9660
filesystems are present and the disks aren't closed. Is anybody having success with k3b or nautilus?
Regards
Damien

The above growisofs command(by Paul) to write the files generate the
Rock Ridge extentions(-R option) and the Joliet extensions(-J option)
when writing the DVD. This can be found as an option in k3b under the
burn options tab Filesystem. Try to burn a DVD+RW with k3b with those
options checked and see if the problem persists.

regards,
/kds

never tried k3b or nautilus or &&

commandline-options with resp. mkisofs cdrecord and growisofs give fine readable results. never used the option of Paul. use growisofs -dvd-campat -Z etc. only to burn pre-written iso' s. (see man growisofs) *without* -R ot -J options.

steef

steef

--

you don't need the weathermen to know the way the wind blows

BOB DYLAN