Re: Newcomers to Debian downloading/ordering full CD-set

Andrei Popescu wrote:

Hello list

Maybe it's a bit OT, but we do want new users, or not? ;-)

I have noticed that many newcomers to Debian often seem to not understand that one of the big differences between Debian and other distros/OSes is that you don't need to download EVERYTHING. They probably get the impression that by downloading only the net-install CD or the first CD/DVD they would not be able to benefit from everything Debian has to offer.
Is this just a false impression of mine? I wanted to get some more opinions before bringing this to debian-www. Maybe they could put some more emphasis on this (great) feature of Debian. I can even imagine newcomers getting scared of the huge number of .iso (14 for i386) to download on the first install and possibly every upgrade (another feature maybe not enough advertised).

Andrei
I agree, although a little reading on the website did fix my initial impression. I actually did not own a cd burner when I first wanted to try Debian so I felt my only avenue was to order a full set of the CD's. If I had left it at that, I never would have gotten setup at all on Debian since the CD's never arrived (although my credit card was charged) and emails to the customer service for that vendor were never returned or acknowledged. I ended up buying a cd burner purely to get Debian up and running (obviously I use it all the time now). Since then I've deployed 6 debian servers into production supporting a small isp and running variuus services including opennms, mysql, freeradius, dns, apache, etc. and I've had absolutely no problems and I'm a big proponent of Debian whenever colleagues ask about which distro they should try.

Craig Russell
AirDigitalNetwork.com