Re: Unreadable DVDs

Damien Solley wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-02-25 at 07:13 -0600, Paul Stolp wrote:
>
>>* Damien Solley <dsolley.listmail@gmail.com> [2006-02-23 21:15]:
>>
>>>Greetings,
>>>I am trying to write single session DVD+R discs under Debian Etch (and
>>>previously also in Sarge). I have tried Nautilus CD/DVD burner and K3b.
>>>Both programs apparently write the disks and report a successful burn.
>>>However, the disks cannot be mounted or read on this or any other
>>>machine. When I check "disk info" under K3b it reports the disks as
>>>written, but without a detected UDF or ISO filesystem. CDBurnerXPpro on
>>>Win32 also shows the disks as written, but unreadable on windows. I have
>>>used the default settings in all programs, no changing Joliet/RR
>>>settings, etc.
>>
>>Try command line, I have had no problems since using
>>that over K3b, et al.
>>
>>growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd -R -J /some/files
>>
>>Very simple. Check the growisofs man page for more
>>details.
>>

> Paul,
> Thanks for your reply, that sorted it out! Using growisofs has created
> DVDs that are readable on any of my machines.
> Interestingly, using nautilus or k3b the disks seem to have two
> filesystems. Nero 6 on Win32 seems to think that both UDF and ISO9660
> filesystems are present and the disks aren't closed.
> Is anybody having success with k3b or nautilus?
> Regards
> Damien

The above growisofs command(by Paul) to write the files generate the
Rock Ridge extentions(-R option) and the Joliet extensions(-J option)
when writing the DVD. This can be found as an option in k3b under the
burn options tab Filesystem. Try to burn a DVD+RW with k3b with those
options checked and see if the problem persists.

regards,
/kds