Re: Proposed change for subscriptions...

Anand Kumria said:
> You can see who all the listmasters are at
> <http://www.debian.org/intro/organization/>.

    What, not on lists.debian.org?  One would think that such information
would be coupled with the list site as well as the general site.

> You are also free to appeal to Debian technical-committee or the
> Debian Project Leader if you aren't happy with a decision made by the
> listmasters.

    Why?  As you have stated previously "nothing will change".  Furthermore
by going directly to those individuals it does not bring the issue out
publicly.  It is far easier to deny a single voice in private than
dozens of voices in public.  It is far harder for people who have a
similar opinion to find one another when they can only act in private so
it is in turn harder for those voices to come together in the first
place.

    Get out of your ivory tower and come join us in the bazaar.

> [snip - ancedotes from someone who thinks the number of lists and
> number of subscribers he is responsible for is substainially larger
> than any debian-* list.]

    I never said that the lists I ran were larger.  I just pointed out that
you're not the sole practicioner of list management; that you are not
unique and special in your perspective as such.

> That's okay Steve. Feel free not to buy it. However, I don't
> appreciate your tone.

    Nor I yours.

> This is list is supposed to be helpful and constructive. I've outlined
> the reasons that the listmasters have taken the stance that is
> currently in place.

    Many of which I do not consider valid.

> In fact, if the tone of further emails from you matches this one or
> you continue on this topic I'll forcibly assist you in the process.

    Congratulations.  You're the first list manager on this list I have in a
decade or so of subscribing to it threatened anyone with such an action.
 I've seen many cries from people to unsubscribe people who bring their
political cross to bear here on the list for weeks on end fall on the
deaf ears of the list mantainers.  I've seen personal attacks run their
natural course over days without a blink from the list managers.  But
someone calls one of them to task about their irresponsible actions and
all of a sudden that individual is threatened with removal.

    The irony is exactly what good will it do?  It isn't like being removed
from the list will prevent me from posting to the list.  That is of
course you really meant to say that you were going to remove me from the
list and further enact filters to prevent me from posting in the future.

    Quite frankly, Anand, if your reaction to some criticism is to abuse the
power you hold you only have shown that you are unquialified to manage
any list at all.  People who are in it for the power trip are in it for
the wrong reason.

--
Steve Lamb