Re: Wireless interface fails to initialize fully; still need to get DHCP manually

Tim Beauregard wrote:

Robert Glueck wrote:
Adam Porter wrote:
I'm not an expert, and I have no experience with
ndiswrapper, but I'll try
to help.  Please post your /etc/network/interfaces file.

I may have missed the entire point of the thread as I've only just
resubscribed but here is my working wireless setup:

apt-get install ndiswrapper-source wpasupplicant ifplugd
kernel-2.6.*-source etc (I'm not sure about ndiswrapper-utils)
(requires self-compiled kernel and modules ie
make-kpkg kernel_source modules_source)

Set up your files as below:

/etc/network/interfaces

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp

# iface dsl-provider inet ppp
# provider dsl-provider

/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

# Minimal /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf to associate with open
#  access points. Please see
#  /usr/share/doc/wpasupplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf.gz for more complete
#  configuration parameters.

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ctrl_interface_group=0

eapol_version=1
ap_scan=1
fast_reauth=1

### Associate with any open access point
###  Scans/ESSID changes can be done with wpa_cli
# network={
#         ssid="tim"
#         key_mgmt=NONE
# }

# Only WPA-PSK is used. Any valid cipher combination is accepted.
network={
       ssid="goodview"
       proto=WPA
       key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
       pairwise=CCMP TKIP
       group=CCMP TKIP WEP104 WEP40
       psk=**********************[edited for my own security!]
       priority=5
}

/etc/default/wpasupplicant

# /etc/default/wpasupplicant

# WARNING! Make sure you have a configuration file!

ENABLED=1

# Useful flags:
#  -D <driver>          Wireless drive, typically optional.
#  -i <ifname>          Interface
#  -c <config file>     Configuration file
#  -d                   Debugging (-dd for more)
#  -w                   Wait for interface to come up

# See the manual page wpa_supplicant(1) for more options and information.

OPTIONS="-w -i wlan0 -D ndiswrapper -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf"

# EXAMPLES:

# OPTIONS="-i wlan0 -D hostap -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf"
# OPTIONS="-i ath0 -D madwifi -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf"

Once these files are set up, run the command

ndiswrapper -i bcmwl5.inf in the directory where that file resides (I
use /usr/src) (you also need bcmwl5.sys in the same directory)

then

insmod ndiswrapper

You can check with ndiswrapper -l

Hope this all helps,

Tim

I had exactly the same problem -- with different hardware. The cause was that PCMCIA services are started in the boot / startup sequence AFTER networking is set up, so at the time the startup procedure is trying to connect to your network PCMCIA services are not running.

By the time the boot has completed, PCMCIA services are started, so now an attempt to connect to the network works.

Solution is, check your /etc/rcS.d directory and your /etc/rcX.d where X is the runlevel the machine boots to by default, and find the SXXpcmcia link which will point to something in /etc/init.d. Files in here beginning with S are executed in order at startup, first the content of rcS.d then the target runlevel. So, as root, change the XX number between S and pcmcia to something less than the number attached to the startup script for your networking. Then PCMCIA services should get started first and be available when the networking attempts to initialise.

Other thing I notice is your /etc/interfaces file doesn't seem (unless I'm being blind) to "auto" your wireless interface. The boot sequence will only attempt to initialise interfaces that have the auto keyword defined in /etc/interfaces (it does ifup -a which starts those interfaces with an auto keyword). cf your loopback lo interface in your interfaces file quoted above.

HTH

Mark