Wireless interface fails to initialize fully; still need to get DHCP manually

I have a problem getting my PCMCIA wireless adapter (Buffalo
WLI-CB-G54HP-US with Broadcom BCM4318 chipset, pciid
14e4:4318 rev.02) working properly in a Toshiba laptop,
running Xandros v.3.0.2 (a variant of Debian).

I'm using a Windows driver (bcmwl5.inf/bcmwl5.sys,
downloaded from Dell) with ndiswrapper v.1.2, and I almost
fully succeed in getting my wireless network initialized.

The only thing that's lacking is that I don't get a DHCP
lease for my wireless interface eth1, or eth1 isn't brought
up at all, and therefore I don't get a functioning
connection.  I can rectify this by running "dhclient eth1"
or "ifup eth1" in a console as root, and this single step
succeeds in giving me a working wireless connection.

I'm still working at trying to understand the underlying
flaw.  But for now, I'm just looking for a way to automate
this single step that finalizes initialization of the
interface.

Putting "dhclient eth1" in /etc/profile doesn't work; I
still have to open a bash shell and login as root.
Similarly, putting it into ~/.bashrc probably won't work
because the privileges would be inadequate.

My question to the networking gurus here: Where can I put
such a simple extension of the user environment?

Does it have to be in a separate shell script that goes
somewhere in the startup sequence close
to /etc/rcS.d/S40xxxxx, or can I add it
to /etc/rcS.d/S55bootmisc.sh?  How?

I'm not adept at writing shell scripts.  If a separate
script is required, could you post a complete example and
tell me where to place it? Thanks.

Robert