Getting phpmyadmin to work with auth_type = 'cookie'

Dear All,

I've just installed Mysql5, Apache 1.3.34, Php5 and phpmyadmin4:2.7.0. I've had experience of using these together on Sarge and I've got Apache running okay and I've set up a root user for mysql and filled out /root/.my.cnf.

When I got to phpmyadmin, I noticed that the configuration procedure had been slightly altered [security reasons?] so that /var/www/pahpmyadmin/config.inc.php should no longer be edited but instead accepts defaults and included php files from /etc/phpmyadmin. So far so clear. Towards the top of /var/www/phpmyadmin/config.inc.php the following line occurs:
"// Load secret generated on postinst
include('/etc/phpmyadmin/blowfish_secret.inc.php');"
sure enough it's there all ready to be loaded and the line:
"if (!isset($cfg['Servers'][$i]['auth_type'])) {
        $cfg['Servers'][$i]['auth_type']  = 'cookie';"
further down seems to be setting the default to cookie; but, when I try to log in I get the phpmyadmin front screen but nowhere to login and the error message:
"The configuration file now needs a secret passphrase (blowfish_secret)."
I've tried uncommenting the 'auth_type' line in /etc/phpmyadmin/config.inc.php to make the choice of 'cookie' explicit but to no effect.

Has anyone successfully jumped this hurdle and can tell me how it's done?

Thanks,
Nigel
--
Nigel Pauli