Re: NFS file size limit

hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:

On Thu, Mar 09, 2006 at 08:12:31AM +0000, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
On Wed, Mar 08, 2006 at 06:24:40PM -0500, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
My program is writing trace output via printf to standard output on an i386 sarge system. Standars output is redirected to an NFS-mounted reiser partition on an etch AMD64 machine. It hit thr wall at 2147483647 bytes, giving me the message

File size limit exceeded

ls tells me
-rw-r--r--  1 hendrik hendrik 2147483647 2006-03-08 09:41 traceout

Now how do I dismantle this limit? Is it a printf and fprintf limit? a stdout limit? an NFS limit? a kernel limit on one machine or the other? Or (I suspect not) a reiser limit?

And how do I get around it? I really do still have 73G free on the target partition, and I'd like to get to use them.

-- hendrik

That's about 2G - that's not an uncommon file size limit on a 32 bit system.

printf - possible. NFS - more likely. Stdout - no limit I know of.

Any ideas how to get around the NFS limit? Do different implementations have different limits? I noticed, for example, that there are kernel- and user-space NFS's.

Hey, something I know about! I just hit this problem a few months back. You want to run NFS level 3, which is not supported by the user space NFS package. You need to run the kernel space NFS package, which supports level 3.

For me, I had to recompile my kernel because I didn't have it enabled... No big deal though. Switching to the kernel space NFS server fixed me right up.

Thanks,
Rick Reynolds
--
Never work for a sawmill that's so behind that they don't have time to sharpen the blades. -- Will Hayes, Software Engineering Institute