From: dpkirchner@gmail.com [mailto:dpkirchner@gmail.com]On Behalf Of
David Kirchner
Sent: Wednesday, March 08, 2006 2:28 PM
To: Yu,Glen [Ontario]
Cc: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Debian not recognizing 1 of my 2 CPUs and sees only 16k
cache =(

On 3/8/06, Yu,Glen [Ontario] <Glen.Yu@ec.gc.ca> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Thanks for you replies, I've installed the smp kernel (kernel-image-2.4.27-2-686-smp) but now "cat /proc/cpuinfo lists 4 cpus!  However my supervisor has informed me that they should be single-core, rather than dual-core Xeons, so I don't how Debian 3.1 is registering 4 cpus!  I there a different smp kernel I should be installing instead?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Glen Yu | glen.yu@ec.gc.ca

You probably have HyperThreading enabled in your BIOS. You should be
able to disable it there, and then see 2 CPUs. The benefits of
HyperThreading appear minimal, and it actually has a negative impact
for a lot of people, so it's probably better turned off unless you
have specific tests showing that your applications run faster with it
on. 2 cents.