Re: appletalk

Thank you very much! Great (and so quick).

Bernhard

On Thu, 2006-03-09 at 21:10 +0100, Mladen Adamovic wrote:
B.Hoffmann wrote:
I recall that whenever Debian is starting up I had Appletalk service coming up as well which prolonged the boot process considerably. Is there a way to install without this or is the only solution to compile a custom kernel?

>From http://www.servepath.com/support/debian_setupchecklist.htm :

Service management

Debian

To get a list of services that are configured to startup at run-level 2 (Debian’s default run-level), execute the following as root:

# ls –l /etc/rc2.d/S*

To add a service to the startup list, execute:

# update-rc.d service_name start 99 2 3 4 5 . stop 0 1 6 .

The above will start service_name as the last step of the startup service in run-levels 2, 3, 4, and 5, and stop the service in run-levels 0, 1, and 6.

To stop a service from starting on bootup, execute:

# rm –rf /etc/rc2.d/S*service_name

*** you can also execute ‘update-rc.d –f service_name remove’ ***

To manually start or stop a service, execute the following as root:

# /etc/init.d/service_name [start|stop]

For more information regarding Debian’s service management options, execute ‘man update-rc.d’ from a shell.

--
Mladen Adamovic
http://home.blic.net/adamm