Re: Installation of Sarge on an Asus motherboard

On Sun, Mar 05, 2006 at 10:35:46PM +0530, Kumar Appaiah wrote:
> Hello! I have a strange problem on a machine. I have a Debian repository
> really close by. Now, I have the Sarge first CD, and would like to install the
> rest from the repository. Now, the ethernet card is sis190, for which the
> driver is not present in the kernel 2.6.8. Now, I have been trying to install
> linux-image-2.6.15 (k7), but I have to boot into another OS and keep coming
> back to Debian only to find that every package I have downloaded needs some
> dependencies which I have to go back and download again.
>
> Now, is there a good way to get the ethernet card working without having to
> burn many CDs of Debian?

You didn't tell us which ASUS motherboard you are using.  It makes a
difference.  I had trouble like this with an ASUS A8N-VM-UAYGZ, which
has an AMD64 processor.

To get the ethernet up to permit installation I just plugged an old,
well-supported ethernet card into one of my PCI slots.  That enabled me
to install from a sarge netinstall disk that had been jiggered to
contain a 2.6.12 kernel.  As far as I know, it is still not recognisong
the onboard ethernet.  One of these days it probably will, and then I'll
suddenly have to figure out which is which -- or unplug the card.

But I still couldn't get a lot of stuff working -- trouble with RAID,
LVM, and X -- so I switched to an etch install disk.  Now everything
works except for onboard ethernet, video and sound.  Haven't tried to
plug in a speaker yet, the onboard nvidia chip seems to be too new for
xorg (not recognised, doesn't even work as VGA or VESA), and I haven't
had time to try the proprietary nvidia drivers yet.

-- hendrik