Re: Installation of Sarge on an Asus motherboard

On Wed, Mar 08, 2006 at 09:29:43AM -0500, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
> You didn't tell us which ASUS motherboard you are using.  It makes a
> difference.  I had trouble like this with an ASUS A8N-VM-UAYGZ, which
> has an AMD64 processor.

I guess that is the one...

> To get the ethernet up to permit installation I just plugged an old,
> well-supported ethernet card into one of my PCI slots.  That enabled me
> to install from a sarge netinstall disk that had been jiggered to
> contain a 2.6.12 kernel.  As far as I know, it is still not recognisong
> the onboard ethernet.  One of these days it probably will, and then I'll
> suddenly have to figure out which is which -- or unplug the card.

Well, I guess the ethernet card is sis190, and I got the drivers
easily. To make it work, simply compile a kernel with the drivers from
sis.com and tgar works.

> But I still couldn't get a lot of stuff working -- trouble with RAID,
> LVM, and X -- so I switched to an etch install disk.  Now everything
> works except for onboard ethernet, video and sound.  Haven't tried to
> plug in a speaker yet, the onboard nvidia chip seems to be too new for
> xorg (not recognised, doesn't even work as VGA or VESA), and I haven't
> had time to try the proprietary nvidia drivers yet.

I am not too sure about this. But do post regarding your experience
with the sis190 driver, if that is the ethernet card on your system.

Thanks.

Kumar
--
Kumar Appaiah,