Re: Multiple PC's for one user?

On Tuesday 07 March 2006 03:23, Scott Fitzgerald wrote:
> Instead of buying a commercian "muscle box" I think it would be more
> fun to instead link two pc's to serve one user, namely, myself.
> Thinking about this, I wanted to contact the group.
>
> Has anybody else done this?  I would like to know so I could just
> follow in the footsteps of somebody who has experience.
>
> I would really like to have the repetitive and daemon like jobs run
> on the computer without the keyboard/screen/mouse.  I wonder though
> because in debian exim and cron are in the "base system."  Can a
> Debian system be run without these?  Email in particular, is there a
> setting where I can tell the "lighter" system to use the SMTP server
> of the "heavier" system as a default, or do I need to run a lighter
> SMTP daemon or do I need to program exim for this somehow?
>
> Can simpler and less secure things like telnet be configured to work
> only within the LAN?  I know how to invoke SSH but is seems overkill
> for logging into a box next to the "lighter" box.  any thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
> ---
> Scotty

The fun factor aside :-) using multiple boxes uses , and imho, wastes
resources, multiple power supplies..etc. I went the other way, a smp
box , and run all local lan services/apps from there. I do run Vmware and
dual monitors, lots of virtual installs. You could substitute a Free
virtualization app for vmware.
--
Greg Madden