Multiple PC's for one user?

Instead of buying a commercian "muscle box" I think it would be more
fun to instead link two pc's to serve one user, namely, myself.
Thinking about this, I wanted to contact the group.

Has anybody else done this?  I would like to know so I could just
follow in the footsteps of somebody who has experience.

I would really like to have the repetitive and daemon like jobs run
on the computer without the keyboard/screen/mouse.  I wonder though
because in debian exim and cron are in the "base system."  Can a
Debian system be run without these?  Email in particular, is there a
setting where I can tell the "lighter" system to use the SMTP server
of the "heavier" system as a default, or do I need to run a lighter
SMTP daemon or do I need to program exim for this somehow?

Can simpler and less secure things like telnet be configured to work
only within the LAN?  I know how to invoke SSH but is seems overkill
for logging into a box next to the "lighter" box.  any thoughts?

Thanks,
---
Scotty