Re: Multiple PC's for one user?

On Tue, Mar 07, 2006 at 07:23:12AM -0500, Scott Fitzgerald wrote:
> Instead of buying a commercian "muscle box" I think it would be more
> fun to instead link two pc's to serve one user, namely, myself.
> Thinking about this, I wanted to contact the group.
>
> Has anybody else done this?  I would like to know so I could just
> follow in the footsteps of somebody who has experience.
>
> I would really like to have the repetitive and daemon like jobs run
> on the computer without the keyboard/screen/mouse.  I wonder though
> because in debian exim and cron are in the "base system."  Can a
> Debian system be run without these?  Email in particular, is there a
> setting where I can tell the "lighter" system to use the SMTP server
> of the "heavier" system as a default, or do I need to run a lighter
> SMTP daemon or do I need to program exim for this somehow?
>
> Can simpler and less secure things like telnet be configured to work
> only within the LAN?  I know how to invoke SSH but is seems overkill
> for logging into a box next to the "lighter" box.  any thoughts?
Hi Scott,

how can ssh be overkill? I am running a few networked machines here and
the only reason why I think ssh could be overkill is encryption
overhead. As I have a 386 40Mhz with 8MB of ram here running NetBSD
1.6.2 to which I connect with ssh, I really don't see this as a problem
as well. Together with public key authentification - no more password
typing - I see ssh as well worth it.

These are naturally just my two cents...