Re: How to determine the VT of a running X session?

On Tue, Mar 07, 2006 at 09:25:09PM +0100, Jan C. Nordholz wrote:

> Ok, tried...
>
> jcn@hejre:~$ tty
> /dev/tty1
> jcn@hejre:~$ ll /dev/tty[01]
> crw------- 1 root root 4, 0 2005-03-29 21:30 /dev/tty0
> crw------- 1 jcn tty 4, 1 2006-03-07 19:52 /dev/tty1
>
> ... doesn't change here. I wonder who should change that (the kernel,
> in the course of processing a VT_ACTIVATE ioctl()?), but if that's
> what's happening on your host, then there has to be some mechanism...

PAM can be configured to chown tty (and other devices) on login.  That
is probably it.  If it's not pam, some other part of the login process
has been configured to do so (a non-standard getty or whatever).  The
kernel is certainly not doing so (except through chown) -- the kernel
wouldn't even know where to find matching device file(s) in order to
make this change.