Re: xserver-xorg fatal configuration

Tore Ericsson wrote:
> Thanks for the advice regarding debconf, this may perhaps open something:
>

>>... "sudo dpkg-reconfigure debconf" and
>>selecting "Dialog". (This assumes you've configured your user to have
>>sufficient sudo capabilities; if not, you'll have to figure out some
>>other way to give root access to your X session, such as xhost
>><shudder>.) But the more serious problem, from what I can see, is the
>>libkdecore file.
>

> Also I have to investigate more as regards "cheating the database" or similar.
> I have to learn about the files and their role (libkdecore I don't know
> either). -- I normally run from pure console. I did however produce example
> texts in a gui terminal by repeating commands with (roughly) pre-known
> results, for mailing.
>
> Thanks Kent,
> Tore

Hi, Tore.
Sorry to butt-in, but this problems seems to require some good old
VIOLENCE instead of science...

> dpkg --force-all --remove <package>
> apt-get install <new_package>

doesn't work?

what about...

> rm -Rf /var/cache/apt/archives/*

? sometimes partial downloads of archives fuck with apt...

If all this fails move all files from "/" (except virtual stuff like dev
or proc (check the "mount" output for that)) into a subdirectory like
"/old" or something and reinstall debian w/o formatting the harddrive...
then you boot and move stuff like "/old/etc" and "/old/root" and
"/old/home" back to "/"... that will _always_ do it.. and when you're
not one of these i-like-to-configure-every-shit-in-my-system-because
i-have-too-much-time kind of dude you'll end up with the same system as
before but without the problem you have...

it might also be a good idea to burn the stuff you've had to move onto a
dvd or something... there might be more elegant ways to back shit up...
but "mv" and "cdrecord" arwe available on _every_ setup...

Dirk