More on the clock problem & base-config.

I posted earlier here:

---
I figured-out that the clock problem is related to time zones.
The hardware clock is set correctly.  Linux is compensating
for a time difference that doesn't exist.  I know this because
I booted into Windoze-- the time was alright in Windoze.

(I want the clock to be set to the local time-- as the machine
is dual boot the monopolist's operating system.)

-----
# date
Mon Mar  6 19:43:44 EST 2006			<-- wrong

# hwclock
Tue Mar  7 00:43:52 2006  -0.747322 seconds	<-- assumes incorrectly this is
UTC
#
-----

After poking around a little I found this about setting
time:
http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:7HkGMTmuRg4J:www.debian.org/releases/potato/i386/ch-init-config.en.html+linux,+debian,+time+to+local+time+zone,+dpkg-reconfigure&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1
---
If you wish to re-run base-config at any point after installation is
complete, as root run dpkg-reconfigure base-config.
---
# dpkg-reconfigure base-config
/usr/sbin/dpkg-reconfigure: base-config is broken or not fully installed
# apt-get install base-config
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  locales openoffice.org openoffice.org-base openoffice.org-calc
  openoffice.org-common openoffice.org-core openoffice.org-draw
  openoffice.org-help-en-us openoffice.org-impress openoffice.org-l10n-en-us
  openoffice.org-math openoffice.org-writer python-uno
  base-config
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 13 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 41.6kB of archives.
After unpacking 245MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?
Get:1 http://debian.yorku.ca testing/main base-config 2.76 [41.6kB]
Fetched 41.6kB in 0s (262kB/s)
(Reading database ... 88902 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing openoffice.org-help-en-us ...
Removing openoffice.org ...
Removing openoffice.org-writer ...
Removing python-uno ...
Removing openoffice.org-math ...
Removing openoffice.org-impress ...
Removing openoffice.org-draw ...
Removing openoffice.org-calc ...
Removing openoffice.org-base ...
Removing openoffice.org-common ...
***
* Updating MIME database in /usr/share/mime...
***
Removing openoffice.org-core ...
Removing openoffice.org-l10n-en-us ...
Removing locales ...
Selecting previously deselected package base-config.
(Reading database ... 85276 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking base-config (from .../base-config_2.76_all.deb) ...
Setting up base-config (2.76) ...

# dpkg-reconfigure base-config		<-- does nothing!!!!!
#

I don't like that apt-get asked me to uninstall openoffice.  Seems
there some sort of weird extra dependency.  Any case, base-config
doesn't seem to be doing its thing.  If I remember correctly--
base-config is where you set that the clock is NOT set to GMT.

Is the interface for base-config busted?
Is base-config obsoleted?

I have the impression it is obsoleted:
------------
# apt-cache show base-config
Package: base-config
Section: admin
Installed-Size: 96
Maintainer: Debian Install System Team <debian-boot@lists.debian.org>
Architecture: all
Version: 2.76
Conflicts: tasksel (<< 2.25)
Filename: pool/main/b/base-config/base-config_2.76_all.deb
Size: 41558
MD5sum: d2c074914fa4afd59dba15c84cf7372b
 This package is an empty package that is no longer used. It can be removed
 with no ill effects.
Tag: admin::configuring, role::aux:dummy, suite::debian, use::configuring

#
------------

Recently, I realized that this happened to my firefox package---
I'd installed firefox with 'mozilla-firefox' -- and it wasn't
immediately clear that it was obsolete.  Actually, I noticed it
only because the version was so far behind... when trying to install some
themes.

Seems the upgrade path isn't clear... or some sort of assumption
was made about GMT.

What package replaces 'base-config'?
What am I missing?

Take Care,
Michael

System/Hardware
Toshiba Satellite A20 -- A20-31Q:
2.53GHz
(PSA20C-0231Q)
http://www.toshiba.ca/web/specifications.grp?lg=en&section=1&group=1&product=1912&part=1772

Processor: Intel Pentium IV, 2.53GHz
Memory: 512 MB

Linux version 2.6.11-1-686 (dannf@firetheft) (gcc version 3.3.6 (Debian
1:3.3.6-6)) #1 Mon Jun 20 22:00:38 MDT 2005

Desktop: KDE 3.5.1

Install details can be found here:
http://individual.utoronto.ca/bonert/debian_install.html