Re: setting xterm title with -T doesn't work

On Mon, Mar 06, 2006 at 10:41:43AM -0600, Gnu-Raiz wrote:
> >On Mon, Mar 06, 2006 at 10:04:38AM +0200, Andras Lorincz wrote:
> >> When starting xterm I would like to set the title with -T
> >>"string" option,
> >> but it has no effect. Instead appears the title with the hostname
> >> and current path. Why does xterm ignore the -T option?
> >
> >It doesn't.  Your shell prompt is setting the title to what you see
> >after xterm sets it to whatever you're putting in with '-T'.
> >
> >--
> >Marc Wilson |     Most people have a mind that's open by
> >appointment
> >msw@cox.net |     only.
>
> This has been a known problem, I believe it is in some bug reports.
> I believe that most modern windows managers have this problem, I
> know gnome, fluxbox, and kde don't work with the -T option.

I believe no modern window managers at all have this problem... it not
being a window manager issue in any way.

Gnome, Fluxbox, and KDE have no control over or issue with the '-T' option.
Most distributions, if not all, configure their default shell (usually
bash) to step on the title of xterm windows.

By the way... you really need to set your MUA up to quote properly.  I
think even KMail can do *that*.

--
 Marc Wilson |     When I was 16, I thought there was no hope for
 msw@cox.net |     my father.  By the time I was 20, he had made great