Re: sata/scsi confusion at boot

On Sat, Mar 04, 2006 at 11:14:11AM -0700, Glenn English wrote:
> On Friday 03 March 2006 22:20, Andrew Cady wrote:
>
> > How grub names and finds drives is completely unrelated to how linux
> > does it.  If your problem is with grub's behavior, then /dev/sd? and
> > udev are definitely not involved.
>
> Good to know I was looking at the wrong thing.

I don't know that your problem *is* with grub.  I wasn't able to figure
it out from what you said originally.  I don't use grub myself, so I
wouldn't know how to help with it.

> In menu.lst, root is hd0,0, so grub finds the boot partition, and

root and boot partitions are not the same thing.  The boot partition is
where GRUB finds the linux kernel; the root partition is where the linux
kernel looks for the filesystem.  For several years, the convention has
been to make these two different filesystems, as a workaround for BIOSes
with limitations using large disks.  Probably the debian installer does
this by default.

> all is well.  By the time it gets to the line saying the kernel in
> in /dev/hda1, hda is not the SCSI drive. Why?

I'm not sure exactly what you mean.  If your kernel boots, but panics
when it doesn't find the root filesystem, you need to alter the root=
parameter which GRUB passes to it.

> Is there a way to deal with this? How did you find how this is all
> working (I can't find documentation)?

Device files (as managed by udev) are special files created with
mknod(2) in /dev on the linux filesystem.  These are simply not
available before the root filesystem is mounted, let alone before the
kernel is loaded.  They are not involved in the boot process, no matter
what the Linux kernel messages and root parameter so confusingly imply.

For general information on the boot process, see boot(7).  To learn how
Linux finds the root partition see the root= section in bootparam(7).
These pages are in the package 'manpages'.