sata/scsi confusion at boot

I want my computers to boot from the SCSI drive and mount the big SATAs
in /usr for video and audio work. When it boots, the BIOS presents the SCSI
to grub as (hd0), but by the time grub goes to load the kernel
(from /dev/sda), one of the SATAs is sda, and it looks like the SCSI has
become sdc. The installer put the grub loader in the boot sector of what was
(hd0) at the time, and I don't see any way to specify any other drive.

The current theory is that udev is the culprit, and that the confusion stems
from the installer disk's kernel not running it. But when I removed udev, all
manner of things broke (X, mouse, etc.)

I haven't been able to find out much about this, and I don't see anything
about SATA in any of the udev config files.

It used to happen only on the 64bit Sun, so I assumed it was the BIOS. But
after an upgrade today it started on the P4 homebrew as well. The only way
I've been able to use these machines is by disabling the SATA drives in the
BIOS.

Running sid and kernel 2.6.15. I know sid is begging for trouble, but I can't
get the video software without it. And the Sun SATAs didn't work with the
pure 64 etch, anyway...

Ideas anybody?

--
Glenn English