Re: aptitude --target target sarge xxx doesn't limit to sarge [OT?]

On Thu, Mar 02, 2006 at 10:06:24AM -0500, Daniel B. wrote:
> Andrei Popescu wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 16:43:54 -0500
> >"Daniel B." <REMOVEdanielTHIS@fgm.com> wrote:
> >

> >>When I run "aptitude --target sarge install ...", aptitude doesn't
> >>listen to the instruction to install a version from Sarge; it installs
> >>a version from Testing.  (I have both Sarge and Testing mirrors in
> >>my APT sources list file.)
> >>
> >>What needs to be done to get "--target ..." (or APT::Default-Release)
> >>to work?

> >Hhhm... from man aptitude it seems the long option is --target-release
> > (or -t).
>
> Aptitude accepts (sufficiently unambiguous) abbreviations of long option
> names.  The form "--target" appears to be sufficient.  (Note in my
> follow-up message that "--target" worked when I used the release name
> "stable".  Also, aptitude rejects unrecognized options--try "aptitude
> -targetJunkToMakeUnrecognized".)

In a slightly different context, and long enough ago that I can't be
sure of the details, I came to the conclusion that the apt system does
not handle release code names reliably, if at all. In many situations
using the word, sarge, or etch, etc. does not do one would think.
It appeared that some places the names stable, testing, and unstable
were hard coded into some software.

I can see how this might happen. Supporting a dynamic set of control
words adds a lot of complexity to a system that is already complex.
Its easier simply to have users use "stable" when they might wish to
use "sarge", IMHO. (I'm not a developer, so I'm not saying this out
of narrow self interest.)