postgresql-common 42 fails to upgrade

I have a Debian Etch machine that I keep up to date. Recently when I tried to upgrade from (I believe) postgresql-common version 39 to postgresql-common version 42 in Synaptic, I received an error that a sub-process install had failed. Like a fool I closed the window before copying down the original message.

Here's the output I get when running "aptitude reinstall postgresql-common" as root:
---
The following packages will be REINSTALLED:
  postgresql-common
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 reinstalled, 0 to remove and 13 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
Writing extended state information... Done
Setting up postgresql-common (42) ...
dpkg: error processing postgresql-common (--configure):
 postgresql-common
A package failed to install.  Trying to recover:
Setting up postgresql-common (42) ...
dpkg: error processing postgresql-common (--configure):
 postgresql-common
---

Here's the (partial) output I get when running "dpkg-query -l postgresql-common":
iF  postgresql-common 42

Any ideas why postgresql-common is failing to upgrade? My Postgresql 8.1 server is still operating fine, and I can install/upgrade other packages. However, this error comes up whenever I run any apt related command.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Michael Schurter