Re: Debian Install problem on Inspiron

On Fri, 2006-03-03 at 21:12 +0200, Oğuz Yarımtepe wrote:
> Cum 03 Mar 2006 01:15 tarihinde şunları yazmıştınız:
> > On Fri, 2006-03-03 at 00:14 +0200, Oğuz Yarımtepe wrote:
> > > Hi. I tried to install  Debian Inspiron 16000 with Debian 3.1r1, rc2,
> > > netsinstall and Sarge. Each time the installation failed because the
> > > installed couldnt find a disk for partititoning.
> > >
> > > Here are outputs of some commands when i opened the machine with Knoppix:
> > >
> > > lspci -vv: http://pastebin.com/580921
> >
> > it looks as though you have similar hardware to me. i have a debian
> > inspiron 6000, and have debian running. i installed debian using a 2.4
> > kernel. then, once installed, i compiled my own kernel with certain
> > atapi tricks.
>
> ok i installed the system with 2.4 kernel. But when i installed kde and kdm it
> couldnt opened the graphic environment. Error Apm: Bios not found

the apm error shouldn't be causing any errors with your x-server

> I installed the kernel 2.6.15 this time it found the disk as scsi and gave an
> error saying /dev/hda6 doenst exist. And fall to a sh shell. How did you
> compile the new kernel?

your /etc/fstab most likely looks similar to this:
#
proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
/dev/hda1       /               reiserfs notail          0       1
/dev/hda5       none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/hdc        /media/cdrom0   iso9660 ro,user,noauto  0       0

you want it to look similar to this:
#
proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
/dev/sda1       /               reiserfs notail          0       1
/dev/sda5       none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/scd0        /media/cdrom0   iso9660 ro,user,noauto  0       0

now we have to tell grub about the changes as well.
you need to change a line inside of /boot/grub/menu.lst:

you may have different numbers after hda, but just make sure it looks
similar to this:
# kopt=root=/dev/sda1 ro vga=0x318

save changes to this file, and run "update-grub"

reboot