Re: postgresql-common 42 fails to upgrade

On Thu, Mar 02, 2006 at 04:10:07PM -0600, Michael Schurter wrote:
> I have a Debian Etch machine that I keep up to date.

[...]

> Setting up postgresql-common (42) ...
> dpkg: error processing postgresql-common (--configure):
>  subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1

[...]

> Any ideas why postgresql-common is failing to upgrade?

You should find out, and report a bug.  Diagnosing this problem will no
doubt be very useful to the postgresql maintainer.

It is the post-install script that is failing; this is located in $pi.
If you are lucky, it is a shell script and will be easy to debug by
running sudo sh -x $pi.  Triple points for patching the script so that
it works.  Two point penalty for echo '#!/bin/true' > $pi.

pi=/var/lib/dpkg/info/postgresql-common.postinst