Re: Kernel Panic (using make-kpkg & dpkg)

Harish G. Naik wrote:

Hi,

I am currently running Debian Sarge testing.
GCC version is 3.3.4

I needed to compile and install 2.6.15
used
$make-kpkg kernel_image
$dpkg --install kernel-2.6.15*.deb

Now when I try reebooting into the new kernel, I get:

VFS: Cannot open root device "hdas" or unknown-block(0,0)
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

I see that the device entry for the default(working) kernel is the same.
The new root entry is made automatically when update-grub is run at the end of 'dpkg'
I see that there is no initrd entry. Could that be the reason ?

Yes, that's probably the reason. See yesterday's thread "2.6 compilation woes..."

My understanding is:
If you don't include the switch "--initrd" on your "make-kpkg" command line then you *must* compile the drivers for your hard disks and the filesystems you're using permanently into the kernel (ie choose compile option "Y", not "M" for these drivers).

If you do include the switch "--initrd", then you can make modules out of everything and the system will load everything appropriate for your hardware during boot, which seems to me a rather nice way of finding out what hardware you actually have in your machine.