Re: printing problem

Olafur Jens Sigurdsson wrote:
> Þann 2006-03-01, 12:54:20 (-0500) skrifaði Kevin B. McCarty:
>>Olafur Jens Sigurdsson wrote:

>>>Hi again, after trying a few stuff out I think that when I try to
>>>print using lp -dojs (or lpr -Pojs, where ojs is the name of the
>>>printer queue I set up for the printer) then that program tries to
>>>contact the server of the school, and not my local cups server where
>>>of couse there is no ojs spool. How do I tell lp (or lpr) to use the
>>>localhost cups server and not the one that the school provides?
>>
>>Have you tried changing the setting of ServerName in the file
>>/etc/cups/client.conf (and then running "/etc/init.d/cupsys restart") ?
>>
>>/usr/bin/lpr is the version of lpr in the cupsys-bsd package, right?
>>(Run "dpkg -S /usr/bin/lpr" to check)
>
> Kevin you master!
>
> Thank you a billion times, now it works like a charme!
>
> I had looked throug the cupsd.conf file a few times but by some reason
> I overlooked the client.conf file :-)
>
> But then I have the question why on earth did it choose my school CUPS
> deamon instead of the localhost to put as a default server? Should I
> file this as a bug?

That is rather strange.  I'm surprised that localhost isn't the default.
Maybe CUPS checks for print servers broadcasting their availability on
the net, and only falls back to localhost if none are found?

I'm no CUPS expert, though, so maybe someone who knows more about it
could correct me and suggest whether this is really a bug.

best regards,