Kernel Panic (using make-kpkg & dpkg)

Hi,

I am currently running Debian Sarge testing.
GCC version is 3.3.4

I needed to compile and install 2.6.15
used
$make-kpkg kernel_image
$dpkg --install kernel-2.6.15*.deb

Now when I try reebooting into the new kernel, I get:

VFS: Cannot open root device "hdas" or unknown-block(0,0)
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

I see that the device entry for the default(working) kernel is the same.
The new root entry is made automatically when update-grub is run at the end of 'dpkg'
I see that there is no initrd entry. Could that be the reason ?

Please let me know.

--
Regards,
Harish G. Naik