Re: ready to use debian or ubuntu laptop reccomendations?

Britton Kerin wrote:

I would like to buy my non-linux girlfriend a ready to use laptop with: wireless scan, falling back to CAT5 DHCP
  open office
  CD ROM that automounts
  SD card reader that automounts
  working sound card
  reasonable memory and disk
  working video acceleration (at least a bit)

The last item is nonessential, needed only to make
X more comfortable, not for games or anything.

I can spend about $1000, though it seems like they
should be available for less given the windows crud
that is out there and the supposed high cost of
Windows XP.
Why not go to your local store and pop in the ubuntu live CD to see if everything works or not! Debian does not have its own live CD yet. But you can use knoppix live Cd or ubuntu live CD to see if everything works under Linux. If it works under knoppix or ubutnu chances are that it will work in Debian as well.

raju

--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi
http://malayamaarutham.blogspot.com/