Re: ready to use debian or ubuntu laptop reccomendations?

On Wednesday 01 March 2006 22:37, Andrew Cady wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 01, 2006 at 07:29:15PM -0800, Paul Johnson wrote:

> > > Dell is not paying $135 for a copy of Windows.
> >
> > Are you sure?  Look how they cut corners on hardware right up
> > through the midrange.
>
> Dell has immense negotiating power.  We can't know what exactly they
> do pay for Windows, or for an Intel CPU, but it's certainly going to
> be less than anyone else.
>
> (If you're thinking that just because Dell can't switch to Linux they
> have no power, consider that they *could* start shipping PCs with
> Firefox, or servers optionally with Linux, or PCs without OSes).

I think it's specifically in the licensing agreement with Microsoft that
they can't sell a PC without an OS.  They were for a while, and MS
jumped on them, so they started shipping them with unformatted drives
and FreeDOS on a CD that came with the computer.  Slight technicality,
but an entertaining one.  It made several stories on RumorDot -- er,
Slashdot.

Hal