Re: ready to use debian or ubuntu laptop reccomendations?

On Wed, Mar 01, 2006 at 11:35:18AM -0900, Britton Kerin wrote:

> I would like to buy my non-linux girlfriend a ready to
> use laptop with:
>
>    wireless scan, falling back to CAT5 DHCP
Hi Britton
many new lappys have this so:
this is a driver support and configuration
issue
>    open office
this is not a laptop issue
>    CD ROM that automounts
this is a configuration issue
>    SD card reader that automounts
this is a driver support and configuration
>    working sound card
this is a driver support and configuration
>    reasonable memory and disk
a non-issue
>    working video acceleration (at least a bit)
many recent cards (2+ years old) have at least a free driver but the
more recent, the less support. Need to look carefully at this issue.

> The last item is nonessential, needed only to make
> X more comfortable, not for games or anything.
>
> I can spend about $1000, though it seems like they
Cost is based upon meeting your requirements. The more requirements, the
more cost.
> should be available for less given the windows crud
> that is out there and the supposed high cost of
> Windows XP.
>
> Is it possible to get such a system?  I tried with
> linuxcertified but the system she got was broken in
> a variety of ways.  I'd really appreciate it if
> anyone has any reccomentations of a model that they
> know from personnal experience will work.
I'd suggest getting a free ubuntu cd or getting a knoppix live cd and
bring it into store to test any and all systems. This is the best way to
get REAL first hand evidence of what will work.
Cheers,
Kev