Re: ready to use debian or ubuntu laptop reccomendations?

On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 08:25 am, Star King of the Grape Trees wrote:
>----> Britton Kerin wrote:
>---->
>----> >I would like to buy my non-linux girlfriend a ready to
>----> >use laptop with:
>----> >
>----> >   wireless scan, falling back to CAT5 DHCP
>----> >   open office
>----> >   CD ROM that automounts
>----> >   SD card reader that automounts
>----> >   working sound card
>----> >   reasonable memory and disk
>----> >   working video acceleration (at least a bit)
>----> >
>----> >The last item is nonessential, needed only to make
>----> >X more comfortable, not for games or anything.
>----> >
>----> >I can spend about $1000, though it seems like they
>----> >should be available for less given the windows crud
>----> >that is out there and the supposed high cost of
>----> >Windows XP.
>----> >
>----> >Is it possible to get such a system?  I tried with
>----> >linuxcertified but the system she got was broken in
>----> >a variety of ways.  I'd really appreciate it if
>----> >anyone has any reccomentations of a model that they
>----> >know from personnal experience will work.
>----> >
>----> Usually, personal experiences are with laptops that are now out of
> date. ----> (ie, they'll recommend their laptop after they've used it for a
> month or ----> so - which happens to be when the laptops have stopped being
> sold). ---->
>----> Windows is very expensive *UNLESS* you get some sort of volume
> discount ----> or you purchase it with your computer.
>----> I have heard of places where windows cost $30 AUD or less, due to
> these ----> deals with MS.
>---->
>----> You can spend $1000 <What currency>?  $1000 AUD will get you a laptop,
>----> but afaik, only DELL can get one that cheap, and it will not have
>----> hardware accelleration.
>---->
>----> I have a (fairly expensive) laptop, which has a SD Card reader,
> however ----> the reader does not work in linux.  If price is a concern, I
> suggest an ----> external adapter.
>---->

I have found much as the above. With laptops you are very much on your own,
and that means a willingness to play around and read extensively. There are
experiences with laptops written up, but when the hardware list is negotiated
it is quickly revealed that some changes have been made which doesn't apply
to what's been posted.

So you just have to suck it and see, and hope that you know enough or can find
the reference on the net, that will allow you to get your lappy working as
best you can. That is unless you buy or intend to buy something refurbished,
as long as the people who refurbished it will let you know if something which
isn't standard in the original machine has been added. Then you might find
something relevant on the net.

Laptops move just a little to quickly in the market to make setting them up
easy to follow from experiences and instructions from a previous user.
Sometimes you can find information that applies to your laptop general model,
and get information from another laptop writeup, that will help you with a
particular type of software inserted in your own.

It's not impossible to get a laptop working well in Linux, but it can take
time.

YMMV

--
Registered Linux User:- 329524