Re: ready to use debian or ubuntu laptop reccomendations?

Britton Kerin wrote:

I would like to buy my non-linux girlfriend a ready to use laptop with: wireless scan, falling back to CAT5 DHCP
  open office
  CD ROM that automounts
  SD card reader that automounts
  working sound card
  reasonable memory and disk
  working video acceleration (at least a bit)

The last item is nonessential, needed only to make
X more comfortable, not for games or anything.

I can spend about $1000, though it seems like they
should be available for less given the windows crud
that is out there and the supposed high cost of
Windows XP.

Is it possible to get such a system?  I tried with
linuxcertified but the system she got was broken in
a variety of ways.  I'd really appreciate it if
anyone has any reccomentations of a model that they
know from personnal experience will work.

Usually, personal experiences are with laptops that are now out of date.
(ie, they'll recommend their laptop after they've used it for a month or so - which happens to be when the laptops have stopped being sold).

Windows is very expensive *UNLESS* you get some sort of volume discount or you purchase it with your computer. I have heard of places where windows cost $30 AUD or less, due to these deals with MS.

You can spend $1000 <What currency>? $1000 AUD will get you a laptop, but afaik, only DELL can get one that cheap, and it will not have hardware accelleration.

I have a (fairly expensive) laptop, which has a SD Card reader, however the reader does not work in linux. If price is a concern, I suggest an external adapter.