Re: Trasnfering an intalled system to another hd

Em Ter, 2006-02-28 às 17:26 -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom escreveu:
> Fernando Cacciola wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have Debian Sarge, full of stuff, installed on a HD, but it's running out
> > of space.
> > What's the simplest way to transfer the entire system to a bigger HD?
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > Fernando Cacciola
> >

> create the new bigger partition
> then:
> cd /<root full partition>
> cp -ax * /<root bigger parttition>

Which will copy only the root partition .

Generally I boot from a LiveCD (Kurumim,Knoppix etc.)
create the partitions on the new HD with the same size as the original,
but located in places where i can easily expand them.

I use parted to move them around and create emty space after the
partition. I do this with the empty partitions.

Then I dd the original to the new one

Finally parted again to expand the new one into the free space after it.

chroot to the new root and run grub/lilo whatever

Michel.