Re: What is the best java development and vm ?

J. Van Lierde wrote:

Marc Shapiro wrote:

Vitaliy Ischenko wrote:

The "best" SDK is SUN sdk
read this http://newbiedoc.berlios.de/wiki/Installing_Java
and especially last part

Installing eclipse is extremely easy -- just unpack archive with
binaries somewhere and launch it :)
Yeah, I was pretty leary of going with anything other than Sun, so I upgraded to the new jdk 5.0 and then installed netbeans.

Netbeans runs extremely slow, however. It says that it needs 384 MB of memory and I only have 256 MB (with 512 MB swap) so I am guessing that is the reason for the slow running. Is eclipse any better at running with less memory? Money is tight, and, although adding memory is by far the cheapest way to improve performance, I would rather not do that at this time if it can be avoided. Since I have no java experience I really do want visual style IDE so that I only have to worry about learning java and not have to deal with the visual interface at the same time.

Both netbeans and eclipse are pretty piggy on memory. I found netbeans pretty slow on a 770MHz P3 with 384MB, and I got a lot of paging when I switched to and from the debugger. In general, I found it quite slow.

Runs just fine on my 3GHz P4 with !GB.

Java is pretty hard on memory in general. I tried running JEdit on an HP-UX box (with Java 1.4), and found it used 260MB. Other people noticed too, and I had to shut it down.

Thanks. I have an Athlon K7 2400+ and 256MB of memory. I could buy a Gig stick of memory for my other slot. Or, maybe I should just bite the bullet and learn to code by hand, like I have with almost every other language that I have learned. The code is almost always cleaner that way. Using kate as an editor and javac to compile from the command line 'just works' without the bloat.

--
Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42@yahoo.com