What is the best java development and vm ?

Please, no flame wars!

I understand that what is best for one person may not be for another.

I think that it is time to learn to code in java. Where do I start? I have verified that I do not have javac on my box. In trying to find what package provides javac I came across free-java-sdk. This sounds like it will provide a java compiler, vm, and a bunch of tooks. I am not clear on whether it provides an IDE, or not.

Checking apt-cache show implies that I can change my JAVA_HOME environment variable, which makes it sound like this will completely replace j2re1.4.2. Is this correct? Is it a good idea? will this affect running java apps in mozilla-suite, firefox, or opera?

I also ran across eclipse, although this does not appear to be packaged for Debian. From what I see at eclipse.org, this would use my existing j2re1.4.2 and WOULD provide an IDE.

Is there someplace else that I should be looking? Links to info, or previous posts covering this would be OK.

--
Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42@yahoo.com