CUPS - utterly puzzled

Dear All,

Until I installed Etch and a 2.6.12 kernel I had a perfectly good printing setup on Sarge with a 2.4.x kernel. I remember using the Gnome CUPS tool and finding drivers for my Brother printer as well as an HP printer both of which are network printers. During my trial and error I could delete printers.

Now it's all so utterly primitive. I cannot delete any printer I set up, there are no Brother drivers available, I cannot even get a test page through. What has happened to CUPS? Using http://localhost:631/ is also horribly broken. Has anyone recent experience of a good tutorial or HOW-TO that they would care to recommend?

One thing that strikes me is that I seem, even as root, to be short of rights to control and configure my printers. Are there some pre-conditions I may have failed to meet?

Thanks,
Nigel
--
Nigel Pauli