Re: description of udev, sysfs, hotplug, hal, etc.

On 2/26/06, Kevin Mark <kmark+debian-user@pipeline.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 26, 2006 at 03:59:44PM -0800, L.V.Gandhi wrote:

> > > So if hotplug is no longer suggested (where is this suggestion?),
> >
> > During installation and reconfiguring udev in sid I got a message like that.
> Hi,
> Marco D'itri (the Debian mainainter) said that the functionalicy of
> hotplug has been incorporated into udev, that is why it is removing the
> 'hotplug' package was done.

O.k.  So in Sarge, the hotplug scripts would still be the apropriate
place to call my sync script?  Or is HAL more appropriate?  I have a
pretty solid grasp on hotplug now but still know only a rough
definition on HAL.

If it is in hotplug, where do I find the values for the usermap?  I
haven't been able to find any info on the web or anything that looked
appropriate in my logs after inserting the device.

Thanks.

--Dave