Re: Squirrelmail bug is actually (partly?) Apt bug

On Sat, Feb 25, 2006 at 11:04:08PM -0500, Carl Fink wrote:
> I'm running out of time on this server setup (the previous one only has a
> few days to live) so I decided to grab the dpkg files and use
> --force-depends to install them.
>
> Well, dpkg told me (correctly) that php4 was not installed and was required.
> A quick "apt-get install php4" caused Squirrelmail to automatically complete
> its installation from my previous attempts to install with apt-get.
>
> So the missing dependency on PHP4 caused Apt to insist on installing Apache2
> and its libapache2-mod-php4.
>
> Now, is that bug?  Is it something that aptitude would have made clearer?
>
> In any case, problem solved.

If you had to grab the dpkg files and use --force-depends to install
them, I would consider it a bug. But I guess it would not be corrected
in Sarge in case ...

I mean, if an apt-get install squirrelmail tries to uninstall apache-ssl
in favour of apache2 then it should be classified as a bug. You should
not have to apt-get install php4 first as php4 is a dependency of
squirrelmail.

A bug filed is a bug archived.

--
Chris.