Squirrelmail bug is actually (partly?) Apt bug

Advice before I report this is requested.

As mentioned in the previous thread I started, installing Squirrelmail on a
Stable server I'm setting up for some reason resulted in Apt insisting on
Apache2, even though apache-ssl was already installed.

I'm running out of time on this server setup (the previous one only has a
few days to live) so I decided to grab the dpkg files and use
--force-depends to install them.

Well, dpkg told me (correctly) that php4 was not installed and was required.
A quick "apt-get install php4" caused Squirrelmail to automatically complete
its installation from my previous attempts to install with apt-get.

So the missing dependency on PHP4 caused Apt to insist on installing Apache2
and its libapache2-mod-php4.

Now, is that bug?  Is it something that aptitude would have made clearer?

In any case, problem solved.
--
Carl Fink                                         carl@fink.to
   "Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your