Re: networked music player that plays local AND remote files

On 2/25/06, Matt Price <matt.price@utoronto.ca> wrote:
> Im not sure that what I am looking for exists, but given the diversity
> of programs out there, I  feel like I must just be missing it.
>
> I have set up an old laptop as a stere component -- a kind of giant
> clunky ipod.  Unfortunately, the hard drive is small enough that only
> a small fraction of my collection fits on it.  Lots of the time this
> is fine, but sometimes I want to play some other stuff.
>
> Therefore what Id like best is a music player that (a) runs locally on
> the old laptop, and allows me to access that local hard drive;
> (b) can also access files on the local network -- perhaps files made
> availablethrough some server on my desktop;
> (c) allows playlists to be constructed on a third, remote
> computer -- say my new laptop -- through the use of some client
> program.
> (d) best case scenario, this whole system somehow integrates with
> rhythmbox or amarok.
>
> Ive looked into this a little bit and it somunds to me that what I am
> looking for is some kind of combination of slimserver and mpd.  Or
> maybe mpd + nfs mounted file systems (how slow does THAT make
> things?).
>
> Anyone have any hints on how to proceed?  Appreciate it as usual!
>
> thanks,
>
> Matt

Personally, I use Amarok to play file on a mounted SMB filesystem,
but it sounds like you maybe want some kind of streaming server
like icecast ( http://www.icecast.org/ ). I don't know if you could
change an icecast playlist from another computer though (well
I guess you could at least ssh to the sever and change it).