networked music player that plays local AND remote files

Im not sure that what I am looking for exists, but given the diversity
of programs out there, I  feel like I must just be missing it.

I have set up an old laptop as a stere component -- a kind of giant
clunky ipod.  Unfortunately, the hard drive is small enough that only
a small fraction of my collection fits on it.  Lots of the time this
is fine, but sometimes I want to play some other stuff.

Therefore what Id like best is a music player that (a) runs locally on
the old laptop, and allows me to access that local hard drive;
(b) can also access files on the local network -- perhaps files made
availablethrough some server on my desktop;
(c) allows playlists to be constructed on a third, remote
computer -- say my new laptop -- through the use of some client
program.
(d) best case scenario, this whole system somehow integrates with
rhythmbox or amarok.

Ive looked into this a little bit and it somunds to me that what I am
looking for is some kind of combination of slimserver and mpd.  Or
maybe mpd + nfs mounted file systems (how slow does THAT make
things?).

Anyone have any hints on how to proceed?  Appreciate it as usual!

thanks,

Matt

 .''`.       Matt Price
: :'  :      Debian User