Re: Jabber translation [Was: gaim login to messenger (msn)]

On 2/25/06, Magnus Therning <magnus@therning.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 25, 2006 at 09:29:37AM -0800, Paul Johnson wrote:
> >On Saturday 25 February 2006 04:56, Alex Nordstrom wrote:
> >
> >> Another solution is to use the Jabber network, which is also
> >> supported by Gaim. Some servers on the Jabber network provide gateway
> >> services to other networks so that, normally, clients do not need to
> >> update when the proprietary half of the network changes. The Jabber
> >> protocol is also less likely to change unexpectedly and become
> >> backwards-incompatible like the proprietary alternatives.
> >>
> >> http://www.jabber.org/
> >
> >This is ultimately what we needed; all the multiprotocol IM clients are
> >merely a bad hack in comparison to just making an open network in the
> >first place.
>
> Has anyone ever gotten it to work?
>
> I was very happy to find out Google federated GTalk a while back, and I
> was hoping that this'd mean I could ditch Gaim and use a Jabber-only
> client. However, after trying several translation servers I have still
> no access to my MSN/Yahoo accounts and the contacts I have there...

I talk to my brother on MSN all the time. I use Psi ( http://psi-im.org/ )
and jabber.unoc.net. I can talk to people on gtalk with unoc.net and I can
connect to talk.google.com directly. I am using the experimental Psi-voice
client so I should be able to use voice chat with gtalk users, but I have not
tried it yet.

As far as contacts, I don't know if Jabber can import them or not.
They may need to be added manually.

Kelly Clowers