Re: gaim login to messenger (msn)

Saturday, 25 February 2006 16:44, Mark-Walter@t-online.de wrote:
> The problem occur's when I connect to messenger (msn).

MSN is a proprietary network (poorly) maintained by a rather large
corporation from Redmond in Washington, USA. As such, developers of
third-party clients for the network, such as Gaim, are at the mercy of
the whims of said corporation.

When it decides to change the protocol, connections from clients using
an old protocol may or may not be accepted by the network servers. The
Gaim developers are forced to figure out how the new (usually
undocumented) protocol works and release an updated version of Gaim.

> My system is based on debian woody.

Woody is the former stable version of Debian. It was replaced in
June 2005 by Sarge. You need to upgrade to enjoy more current software
and, more importantly, for security reasons. Instructions (for systems
based on the Intel x86 architecture or its clones) are available here:

http://www.us.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/release-notes/ch-upgrading.en.html

Note that the only upgrades to Debian Stable (currently "Sarge") between
releases are security-related. Therefore, issues like the one described
above may occur even if your system is fully updated. The
debian-volatile project aims to address this:

http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-volatile/

Another solution is to use the Jabber network, which is also supported
by Gaim. Some servers on the Jabber network provide gateway services to
other networks so that, normally, clients do not need to update when
the proprietary half of the network changes. The Jabber protocol is
also less likely to change unexpectedly and become
backwards-incompatible like the proprietary alternatives.

http://www.jabber.org/

--
Alex Nordstrom
http://lx.n3.net/