Re: file transfer between two debian sarge machines in a lan

> No matter what mechanism you use for copying, you will need to know the
> IP of the box which you are not using to initiate the transfer.

Actually, no.  SMB works without IP addresses- it actually
predates use of IP in PC LANs.  Check out the Samba howto.

Downsides are the usual one for Microsoft-originated
technologies.  I used to power up a bunch of Windows boxes
every morning and if I didn't do it just the right way, many
wouldn't see each other and each would assume it was a
Network Of One. ;-)

Easy ways to identify IP addrs exist- one way is to add a
cron job to do something like...
  /sbin/ifconfig|grep 'inet addr'
...with MAILTO=youraddr@webmailsite

But you really are better off fixing your DHCP than fking
around with any of these half-solutions.  Generally it's as
simple as popping though a couple menus in your router's
menu.  Or just leave your computers on- it's better for
their electronics.